RCO House

Gabriël Metsustraat 16, Amsterdam, Nederland

The former Arts and Craft School by architect H. P. Berlage built in 1918 has become the new home of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. The RCO House accommodates an impressive music hall for small concerts, symposia and educational activities, as well as a variety of sound proofed practice facilities for the musicians. The brick extension on the rear of the monument comprises a lower part with a lobby and a roof garden, and a high part housing the practice facilities. Between the new part and the monument a glass ‘street’ is created, allowing for the restored façade to be experienced in its entirety from the lobby.